Early Childhood Development (Certificate)
About the Program
The Early Childhood Development Basic Technical Certificate (BTC) is a 10-credit option intended for those preparing to seek employment at an entry-level in early childhood care and education and who wish to further their knowledge and expertise within the field. The Basic Technical Certificate meets the educational components of the Child Development Associate (CDA) Credential of the Council for Professional Recognition. Courses are offered regularly to meet the requirements for the Preschool, Infant/Toddler, and Family Child Care CDAs. The CDA Credential is a minimum educational expectation for employment at Head Start/Early Head Start programs as well as other early childhood education and care programs. Students who complete these courses can complete the rest of the requirements set forth by the Council for Professional Recognition to apply for a CDA credential. Credits earned while completing the educational requirements for the CDA articulate directly into the LC State Early Childhood Development Intermediate Certificate, Advanced Technical Certificate, and Associate of Applied Science Degree.
Upon completion of this certificate students will be able to:
- Establish and maintain a safe, healthy learning environment
- Support social and emotional development and provide positive guidance for young children
- Foster positive and productive relations with families and the community
- Maintain professionalism and ethical conduct
Early Childhood Dev Btc Major Reqmts take the following courses, take 10 credits10 creditsRequired courses for Basic Technical Certificate. Completion of a Technical Skills Assessment is required.ECDPT100 - Health/Safe/Nutrition3 creditsECDPT104 - Intro to Early Child3 creditsECDPT112 - Infant Toddler Dev2 creditsECDPT155 - Child Family Community2 credits
* Please note that you must meet with an advisor each semester in order to verify degree completion time as well as online course offerings for the program requirements.